Words, or to be specific, a word.

I haven't ever gone for the choose a word for the year idea. Not really ever wanted to narrow my life to a single concept. And what if I chose a word and it so wasn't me for the year? Choose 'brave' and be the biggest coward ever at leaving my comfort zone, choose 'create' and then the only thing I create is a mess that  can't tidy. choose 'home' and spend A LOT of time making the place not home because for that year I would feel obliged to keep the house tidy enough to look like other people's homes.

Housewife Day Images
image from here

No, I never wanted to be constrained. Until now. This Christmas was beautiful, and I sat taking the decorations down on Sunday and thinking what a perfect celebration it had been. Not BIG, not fancy (we had no buck's fizz or champagne truffles) not too much or too little, but a simple and warm celebration. I had my Mum and Dad at my house for Christmas dinner for the FIRST TIME EVER!!! and the people I love and care about most were with me all the way (including, for once, all my blogmates. I did actually manage to capture my Christmas on my very own blog!)
And it occurred to me, as I wiped a slow soft tear of sadness at a season past away, that I needn't stop celebrating; indeed, my life is a celebration; of me, of my family, of God's great and uncountable gifts to me, and I thought how lovely it would be to celebrate life all the time; not just at high days and holidays, but at any day. It's Monday? Let's celebrate the bins being emptied with a decent cup of tea. Friday night? Let's celebrate with a sad film and a bottle of cider. Thursday afternoon about 2pm when the weekend is still a long way away? Let's celebrate by changing the computer wallpaper for a picture of somewhere majestic, or meaningful, or something furry.

from here
So my word of the year is chosen. Chose itself, I rather think. This year my word is CELEBRATE.
I will celebrate the things I can do now that I couldn't do before. I will celebrate the time I spend at school because (plans allowing) I might not be there forever. I will celebrate the health of everyone I know, and the illness of quite a few as well, because sometimes you need a period of illness to appreciate feeling better. I will celebrate friends, both real and virtual, and the time I can spend with them. I will celebrate family both nuclear (they blow the socks of me when I think about them!) and extended. I will celebrate losing weight and not losing weight, spending and not spending. I will celebrate life.

And because celebrations always go better with company, I hope you will celebrate with me. What part of your life would you celebrate, if I popped round with a bottle of cooled lemonade?

Comments

  1. Like you, I am not sure I'd like to be bound by one single word for a whole year. If I had to choose one, I think it would be FOCUSSED. But I like CELEBRATE, it's very positive. If you popped round with a bottle I would celebrate my loved ones and the fact that life is good at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life IS good! That's a really lovely thing to be able to say.

      Delete
  2. I think that Celebrate is a great way to celebrate the year and I celebrate you for celebrating! Celebrate!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I celebrate you for celebrating me for celebrating!

      Delete
  3. I think Celebrate is a brilliant word to choose for the year, as you say, there's always something to celebrate isn't there? If you popped round with a bottle of cooled lemonade I'd add a drop of wine and celebrate bloggy friendships. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you've got the wine, I might leave out the lemonade.... although, strangely, I have grown sadly fond of cheap red wine and (of all things) coke; a little like a poor man's sangria!

      Delete
  4. Fab choice of word. I'd celebrate having cooled lemonade as warm lemonade - Grrrrrrr. Celebrate the little things that get lost in the chaos of living your life. It's the little things we should celebrate more so that's my little addition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tesco; Every little helps or Kitty Kallen; Little things mean a lot.... if I'm being really deep, it should be Mother Theresa; "Not all of us can do great things, but we can do small things with love"
      It is the little things that I seek to celebrate.... thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  5. Celebrate is a great word to pick for the new year. I hope you have a good one xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you as well! 2015 looks like being a good growing year, so I'll be over to visit you again. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. A great view to have on life I reckon. Celebrate all we can whilst we can.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should have added "and party on, dude!"

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments.

Popular posts from this blog

My Latest Trick...

Filofax; Spring Cleaning my set up

A Heads Up for next Thursday....