Wednesday Wind Up

What am I reading this week?
I am still reading Clash of Kings, but at the same time I have been reading 'The Year of Living Danishly', by Helen Russell. I am Danish again this year, having really enjoyed trying to live Danishly myself last year. It's been fun to read how the stressed, city-loving Helen and Mr Legoman adjust to life in Denmark (in Jutland, actually; the wilds of nowhere!) and how different Danish life can seem to an outsider!
Then I am also reading 'Stuffocation'. There's a bit of a non-fiction vibe going on, isn't there? Stuffocation is about how we have so much stuff it's dangerous to our health and mental well being. I saw it on display in a book shop, and figured that buying the Kindle version wouldn't mean adding more clutter to my house...



What have I watched this week?
As I write this, I have 'The Eichmann Show' on TV, but my ultimate luxury watch this week was 'Sherlock Holmes', the first Robert Downey Jr film, on my tablet on Saturday afternoon as part of a totally self-treating spa afternoon in a Travelodge. A spa afternoon in a Travelodge? Yes, I took my favourite Sanctuary treats from Christmas, a couple of magazines, my Samsung tablet pre-loaded with a free Googleplay movie and a selection of healthy but attractive snacks. The idea was that Mr AJ would go and watch the football (Prescot Cables vs Bishop Aukland) while I chillaxed.  The football got cancelled due to bad weather and we ended up Spa-ing together. He didn't do the handcream or body lotion, and wanted Radio 5 for the football commentary which added an extra dimension to my Spa day, heretofore unrealised as in any way shape or form necessary and possibly never to be repeated.







Where have I been this week?
Durham. The Durham Travelodge. We travelled up late Friday night, woke up and had a lovely breakfast at Chapter's Tea Rooms in Durham, wandered around the Cathedral, shopped a little (yes, I shopped), ate at Spaghettata after our spa afternoon, slept, woke in bright daylight, set off to the Metro Centre and drove home mid afternoon as the lightest flurries of snow set in.

How's my spending gone this week?
Oops. I had some cash saved from Christmas and a portion of my monthly cash set aside for some essentials that I knew I needed (new jeggings and a new top for school) I took my magazines from home and had downloaded a free movie from Googleplay. I spent some cash on my foodie treats, but that was only a couple of pounds. My big spend was something I will share with you another day; it's really too dark now. (and was a joint enterprise with Mr AJ anyway!)



What are my WIPs this week?
My hooks are still resting after their desperate activities over Christmas. Not so my needles, you remember I showed my threads all being sorted? Well. I am putting them to good use!
I designed a pattern of 5 birds in aheart, traced it using a pencil (terribly bad form) and am slowly filling it in. I'd forgotten quite how close a hold you needed for embroidery stitches! But I have really enjoyed doing it, and will be doing more free embroidery as the year goes on!

Any Other Business?
I'm behind with my year planning. I wanted to do some in Durham, and had it earmarked as a spa-full activity, but Mr AJ put the kybosh on that. I will get some done, probably on Friday when Mr AJ is out for the night and, after  the children are fed and watching, I can grab an hour, perhaps, to plan January.... or is it too late?



Edited; I have put the recipe for Hung Shao Pork up on my recipe blog. Enjoy! x

Comments

  1. Your spa day sounds wonderful and relaxing. I remember being taken to Durham when on a school trip to Northumberland, I really enjoyed it there. Your embroidery is lovely, I look forward to seeing your progress with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I need to press on with it, perhaps tonight when NOBODY is out (at last!)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, lovely idea to have a spa day like that! I'm in the middle of a Robert Downey Jr obsession period at the moment, having watched 'The Judge' at least five times the last two weeks or so (totally and utterly captivated by his acting)....I'm saving Sherlock Holmes to watch on Saturday night! Love your embroidery design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it good? I haven't seen the Judge, but it's on my Sky list.
      Thank you for complimenting the design. I have a few more in my brain that I need to plan and execute.

      Delete
  3. I like your embroidery, its very unusual! Your spa day sounds fun even with the additions x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least he paid for the meal out on Saturday,and the football is his big passion so it's nice to indulge him once in a while.

      Delete
  4. I love the spa afternoon idea! Your photos are gorgeous - oh, I miss England so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. England (indeed, the whole UK) is beautiful, and we often forget that it is a great place to live in the middle of all our moaning about the weather; so many beautiful places full of friendly people. I love Newcastle, Glasgow, Liverpool; there's always somebody smiling at me there!

      Delete
  5. I like the sound of that book. Was it featured on Woman's Hour the other week? I heard something about Denmark was going to be featured and forgot to listen! Love, love, love RDJr and both of the Sherlock movies, they are a treat.
    Your trip sounds wonderful, apart from the football!
    Your new embroidery looks lovely, what will you do with the end result?
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea. It's on an old napkin, so just about the right size for a cushion? Or a picture, or a lined pocket on a tote bag. I'll think about it when it's finished.

      Delete
  6. Great idea to treat yourself to some time! Not sure about the footie commentary though! Glad that you had fun. I like your embroidery a lot! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's always good to spend time with Mr AJ and remember that, especially without the children, we still get on and can hold a decent coherent conversation.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments.

Popular posts from this blog

My Latest Trick...

Filofax; Spring Cleaning my set up

A Heads Up for next Thursday....