Meal Planning Monday

Thank you for all the comments about last Monday's meals. I posted the Hung Shao Pork recipe on my food blog and I will post the cowboy casserole recipe as soon as I've made it another couple of times. I like to make sure it's a keeper first.


This week meals are just plain old family food, mostly quick and easy to cook. Lots of comfort food in there, as well. It's still cold, so I hanker for a decent stew or thick soup.

Monday; Pulled pork fajita for me, mince fajitas for the rest of the family. I'm off to a regional quiz for the WI, hoping to do well, and have a 10 minute turn around time between finishing tutoring at 6pm and first collection of passengers. DP or the Princess will cook the fajitas for the rest of the family and I will eat mine..... well, sometime.

Tuesday; Chicken and mash. Tuesday has recently become my free day. Who knew? And by free I mean only free from 2pm, not a whole day including the morning which I miss and long for again so much that holidays have a greater significance now because they are my free morning times. A whole roast chicken and a big bowl of mash, with carrots, swede, cabbage and plenty of gravy will be warming and wonderful.

Wednesday; Shepherds pie. I'll make the mash the day before, and might even make the mince inside so that today is more a case of re-heating rather than preparing.

Thursday; Meatballs and pasta. I did have mash marked down for today, but 3 times in a row? No, not a good idea. So I changed it to pasta.

Friday; Sausage butties/ Paella. We eat separately on Friday, the only day we actually don't eat as a family. The kids will be having sausages, beautifully browned, with mushrooms and some fried onions for them as likes them, served on soft and warm baguettes with thick gravy spread over and thin French fries onthe side. With a little treat for afters, perhaps. It is Friday, after all.
Our meal is likely to be some sausage, chicken from Tuesday and chorizo all cooked together with rice and vegetables coloured with turmeric and labelled paella, although how spanish it will be is debateable.

Saturday; Either a meal at my parent's or my parents at our house.If they come here we'll have Beef Bourguinnone or Beef in Guinness stew with bashed carrots and swede, cabbage and colcannon mash.

Sunday; Ham and macaroni cheese. Aldi do nice small gammon joints that have enough meat on them for the family. I boil it for a little, them smother in marmalade and roast for half an hour. With a soft and creamy cheesy macaroni dish it should fill up a large corner very well.


I actually plan a month's worth of meals at a time, so this last weekend I sat down to plan February's. I've just got a copy of Gok Cooks Chinese, so I'm hoping to get a few more meals with stir fry veg in. Tasty and healthy if cooked correctly.

Comments

  1. I often make shepherd's pie in advance, it's a great meal for when you're short on time. Roast chicken for us tonight with roasties, mash, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts, spring greens, stuffing and Yorkshires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm. I've swapped our Shepherd's pie on Wednesday for chicken, as I've got some time to make it now!

      Delete
  2. Great to hear that someone else meal plans too (I couldn't run my ship single-handedly if I didn't meal plan!)....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a useful thing to do just because it saves me aimlessly wandering into a supermarket and going, "I'll have this, and this, and this... and this....."

      Delete
  3. Arroz con gambas ?? Estupendo.
    Acabo de hacerme seguidora tuya y me quedo por aqui, si te viene de gusto te pasas por mi blog.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, pero en ingles, asi, per favore. No hablo espanol, perdoname. Un abrazo para ti tambien! Thank God for Google translate!

      Delete
  4. Golly, what fabulous meals! Sounds like warming, comforting winter dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just what the doctor ordered on a cold January night!

      Delete
  5. Can I come and live with you.....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I have a spare bed that I will clear off for you especially, and just enough space at the table for a permanent person. Do you bring any pets with you?

      Delete
  6. I really must get better with my meal planning, still slacking on this one! I tried a version of the cowboy casserole from your description on Saturday, but I don't think I did it right. It tasted very nice though, so I will be interested to see your recipe when it is ready for publication - pretty please!! This weeks meals all sound delicious!! Happy eating! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making Cowboy Casserole again next week so I should be fit to print after that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments.

Popular posts from this blog

My Latest Trick...

Filofax; Spring Cleaning my set up

A Heads Up for next Thursday....