Night At The Museum 3; Film On Friday

We were given some Tesco vouchers from a relative that gave us a free cinema trip so last Friday we took advantage of the last weekday of the Christmas holidays to go to Night at the Museum 3; Secrets of the Tomb.
Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (2014) Poster

It's only rated as a PG, which explained why we were, once again, the only family minus a child under 10, but it was a whole family choice. We have seen and enjoyed both 1 and 2, and the lads saw the trailer and said that, since this would be the last film in the series and (with added pathos) the last Robin Williams film we would probably see at the cinema, then it would be a fitting thing to see.

The basic premise follows on from 1 and 2. that a tablet of gold discovered with an ancient egyptian tomb has the power to bring everything in the museum to life. However, the tablet has a nasty case of greenitus and things are going bad for the museum. They decide to send it to the British Museum where the Egyptian Pharaoh's Dad's mummy and Mummy's mummy are kept so that they can lend their experience to the problem. Does it get sorted?  I'm not going to say; only that it was an enjoyable romp, with no real peril, but plenty of pathos. Robin Williams put in a performance that, with hindsight, is tinged with sadness. "Let us go, Larry. Our time is up." had me welling up with tears. And Lancelot played by Dan Stevens is a fun character.
There are some cute cameos by Hugh Jackman and a 93 year old Mickey Rooney, and as much madcap capers as the storyline can support. We really enjoyed the Trafalgar Square lions coming to life and chasing a torch light, as well as other mythological and ancient statuary that causes amusement and peril in equal measure.


All in all a fitting end to a series that we as a family have enjoyed. We'll look out for it on Sky rather than buy the DVD, but we'll watch it when it is on.

Comments

  1. I've only seen the first of these films but I did enjoy it. I think there's a good story to it and I like the actors in it too. I can imagine it being quite emotional watching the film but knowing that Robin Williams is no longer with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As final films go, it might never win any oscars or be a 'classic' but it was poignant; a fitting farewell to Mrs Doubtfire and Flubber!

      Delete
  2. I love the first two films and always watch them when they come on TV. Somehow I hadn't realised that this was out yet, but I can imagine that it is really good. Definitely want to see it now after your good review! If not I will look out for the DVD as I am sure that it is one that can be watched again and again. We went and saw Paddington - only unaccompanied adults there I think! - and it was brilliant, really enjoyed the animation and the story too, although it was a little worrying as to what the outcome would be - should have known it would be alright in the end. I loved the tree on the staircase, wish I had a hallway like that one! Glad you are having so much fun with your film watching, thank you for the reviews! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went to see it (having not seen the first two)....my son almost split a rib laughing so much at the caveman Ben Stiller when he was trying to communicate...I loved Rebel Wilson and actually found Ben Stiller bearable in this. Loved the guy from Downton Abbey and, as you say, so poignant to see Robin Williams on screen. I found myself tearing up on several occasions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments.

Popular posts from this blog

My Latest Trick...

Filofax; Spring Cleaning my set up

A Heads Up for next Thursday....