Who said that thing about selling bread for hyacinths?







The wonderful thing about getting better after a cold and blocked nose is that there comes a time when you can smell again. I walked into the house today after shopping to smell these beautiful hyacinths (thanks Mum!) They've been blooming for a couple of days while I've been ill and I've actually complained to DH about their lack of smell. Being male and a realist he said it was a good job I couldn't smell them, as they would probably have set off my hayfever. Men, huh?



And the shopping! I had a bit of a non-essential day, I'm afraid. Aside from food, including a rather nice Twinings green tea with pineapple and grapefruit, I (had to ) get this stuff. The Country Living magazine is one of my favourites, and cheers me up every month. The chopping boards are red and blue, same as my kitchen. Red for meat, blue for something else, probably. The two red dishes are pottery and I bought them because I'd seen the rectangular ones on Nonnie's blog the other day. The book is, indeed, called Not Buying It and is by Judith Levine, detailing her year of not spending money on non-essentials. Yes, I get the irony. The little photo frames are 24p each at the moment. They are Christmas shapes, and I'm going to use them this year for the dated decorations I give to all the family's third generation. It's a tradition I started in2000 and I really love to do this, finding good decorations, often half price after Christmas and putting a name and a date on them in some way.


There are two styles of wrapping paper. In a little over a week's time, a group of girl friends are all meeting together at my house for our first Girls' Night In. We're going to have a cheese and (non-alcoholic) wine night and plan for a few more meetings. I've got some little 'bits' as a welcome surprise and the paper is to make little bags for them. I don't know whether to scan it or use it straight. I'll fiddle with it later.


The little blue pots are Tete a Tete daffodils/ narcisssi and I've got them for my craft room. I didn't plant any bulbs this year, although I have in the past, but I do love watching them grow. Hopefully as February hits and we may hit more wintry weather, they'll keep my little sitting area bright.

This is the little photo frame in close up. My camera's not cracking at detail, but they are metal frames in snowman, Santa and reindeer shapes. Come next Christmas, I'll put photos in and get the name and date onto the back, probably. That's one of my November tasks.
Enjoy the rest of your day and I'm off now to make some more green tea and read my book. (30 minutes to school pick up!)


Comments

  1. Hey, I'm waiting for the Judith Levine book - is it in paperback?

    My bookseller friend told me the release had been delayed for a couple of weeks. Perhaps I should be grateful that I have a few guilt-free-shopping days left!

    Your daffodils are very cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. As you say a bit of snow would be fab, bt this time last year we had been almost snowed in twice! I'm thinking it might arrived Feb......we'll see! There's nothing beats sitting by the fire when it's snowing outside.
    Like your post for today, I bought the casserole dish from your pottery range the other week as I thought I'd try it before I went and spent a fortune on a rather well known but very expensive brand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the red dishes!!! The hyacinth looks really pretty. I just love the smell of them don't you? Just make you want it to be Spring.
    I read about that book you got. It sounds really interesting but I think it might make me feel too guilty about my spending habits!
    Enjoy your tea and book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the red dishes!!! The hyacinth looks really pretty. I just love the smell of them don't you? Just make you want it to be Spring.
    I read about that book you got. It sounds really interesting but I think it might make me feel too guilty about my spending habits!
    Enjoy your tea and book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments.

Popular posts from this blog

My Latest Trick...

Filofax; Spring Cleaning my set up

A Heads Up for next Thursday....