Christmas isn't Christmas without..... cards

It is still beautiful that at this time of the year snail mail runs amok and delivers little envelopes full of sweet wishes. And I have such a load of conflicting feelings about them; they cost a lot of money and are only sent out of obligation (perhaps) but then again they are a valuable link with relatives and friends far away, and add to the feel of the house.
I hate tacky cards. I don't do anything rude, nor comedy cartoonish. I dislike the cheap and nasty slightly heavier than paper photo cards that were so common when I was a teenager, and I don't like ostentatious cards that are designed to scream out about the worth of the sender (and I mean monetary worth, not self-value) and most of all I hate cards that are ready printed and sometimes never even get a name signed.
If I'm sending a card, I will send a good one. I've cut back a lot on obligation cards; you know, things like the second cousin seven times removed whom you never see from one year to the next despite sharing a home town, or the group cards to every member of a society simply because we are in the same society. I keep my cards for my family whom I cannot see, my family who I love to see often, my friends and the people with whom I would play even if we weren't at work/WI/church together. I make sure my old aunty gets a card (or two; she LOVES Christmas!) and try to match style to person. And I will send the vicar a non-religious card. Always. They are human, and they don't always need a house full of nativity scenes.

As for how to write my cards, I pick a quiet evening, light all my candles, put on a happy Christmas movie and make a decent pot of chai or mulled wine instant tea, and settle down to a few hours at a time adding a personal comment (usually 'and a Happy 2016!') and signing the whole family names.

#christmasisntchristmaswithout

Comments

  1. I've yet to write my cards. I don't like those tiny ones which are hardly big enough to fit a stamp on the envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have cut back on cards for the second cousins fifty times removed type people, but I always send them to precious people! Enjoy sending yours! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They take so long to write out you need to cut back somewhere. We made a collective decision in work not to send cards to each other as we see each other nearly every day. It's always a thrill when one pops through the letterbox though x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to spread it over a couple of evenings, with nibbles and something nice to drink and Christmas music playing.
    Must do mine this weekend.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments.

Popular posts from this blog

Do you cycle? You need to read this article

Small Claims proposal needs some small actions off you!!!

Blogger, why are you messing with my head?