Glamping? Only in the garden... and a book for sale.

I bought this book last year; I don't go camping, don't own a caravan (although would love one to play with on the path) and have no VW camper to outfit, but I do like the whole ..... vibe? Is vibe too 70's a word? It sounds better than millieu (pretentious) oeuvre (too Fine Arts at home) or look (too plain). Yes, I like the vibe. It's relaxed, happy and on the whole very family friendly.

So I had this book and used it as a pretty picture book. Seriously, it sits and gets looked at now and again, but I have very few plans to follow the instructions. I like the projects, I just don't think I need the step by step lists. I like just doing it.

 I plan to make a rag rug, I really do, but I don't need the instructions, really.
 Don't you love this camper van? It would be really brilliant if it were red. That's one of my top choices the next time I buy a car. I'd love a camper van so I can be a proper eccentric. It will have to wait, though.
 I love the tea cosy, but I cannot bring myself to knit one. I don't know why, I think I'm suffering from lack of patience; it just looks like it would take a long time, ergo I have no time to make it. Oh, and all the threads passed across the back of the work just look too fiddly. I'm a coward.
 The food covers, that's a definite on my list, but again, I have a pattern for it elsewhere. Do I keep a book just for one set of instructions, or shall I use blogs and ravelry to find the answer?


 The idea of making tea outside on a small stove take me back to the few camping trips I have done, when a warm cup of tea is all that stands between you and hypothermia on the day when you set off for a walk, to get rained on heavily (This Is Britain!!) and come back to a damp, smelly tent with moist socks to replace the sodden ones and a sleeping bag covered in mud after you caterpillar out of the walking clothes to grasshopper into the last set of almost dry clothes you have. And then it rains. Again. I like the vibe, love the mug.
 Crochet bunting; high on my list to make for the garden. The book is full of pretty things that you want to make. I really enjoyed looking at it, but the time for it in my life is over. Time for it to move on.
 And again; I love this idea for edging. If I had a van or a caravan every shelf would be edged. Mr AJ would hate it, absolutely hate it!

 Draughts is a necessity. I'd make mine with chess pieces on the other side. I might get Mr AJ to play chess.
 This blanket is calling to me; this is the inspiration for my Noel blanket, in shades of green, red and white. I'm saving the idea for this one.
 I do like the book; I really do. But I don't need it. I'm thinking of putting it on Amazon, but I wondered if anybody wanted it first. I'm putting it up for sale at £7.50, with £2.80 postage, but I'm happy to sell it including domestic postage here for £7.50. It's in perfect condition, and ready to read. If you're interested, just email me.

I am clearing out my cupboards, getting my house clear, making space for the next good thing. I was reading about John D Freyer who sold stuff on ebay, and then went to visit the items as part of a Master's degree, and Ian Usher who sold his whole life on Ebay. I don't think I need to be as extreme as them, but I definitely want to clear space, mentally and physically. I need to list on ebay, sort out stuff and sell on what I no longer need or find pleasure from. I am seeking meaningful minimalism. 

Comments

  1. You did make me smile with this post! I too love the idea of camping (glamping or otherwise) but the reality is that camping and I do not mix well. I like a hot bath at the end of the day. I like to wash my hair every day. I have a phobia of spiders and I feel the cold. None of these things helps me to be a happy camper! So although I am rather tempted by your book - everything looks so, well, cosy and delightful, I must resist temptation! But like you, I find the vibe very alluring! E x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only ever been camping once in my life and that was in a caravan when I was about four or five. My dad didn't like camping and I can't persuade Mick to go either. Saying that, I must admit to liking my home comforts so perhaps camping isn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum has this book and I really enjoyed browsing it but I know I'll never make anything in it. I don't think she's made anything in it either! It makes me want to go camping SO much, but I know that camping and I are not suited. I like roofs and walls in my tent, ie a hotel. It's good that you can pick a few ideas for future projects but pass it on now that it is no use to you. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments.

Popular posts from this blog

Do you cycle? You need to read this article

Small Claims proposal needs some small actions off you!!!

Blogger, why are you messing with my head?